November 29, 2014

Discovering the MBL at his Great-Aunt’s Side

“MBL Then” is a series of brief features based on the recollections of MBL community members. Check back often for new entries!

Ida Hyde at the MBL, circa 1891. In front of her is MBL Director C.O. Whitman.

I first heard about the MBL from my great-aunt, Ida H. Hyde, who was among the first female professional scientists. Ida studied with Jacques Loeb and Thomas Hunt Morgan at Bryn Mawr in the early 1890s, which is also when she also began coming to the MBL in summers. (The MBL was her paradise, as she told me when I was a boy.) She earned her Ph.D. from Heidelberg University in 1896 and went on to found and chair the Physiology Department at the University of Kansas.

Ruth Sager, former chief of cancer genetics, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

Ruth Sager, former Chief of Cancer Genetics, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

Arthur B. Pardee, Professor of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology Emeritus, Harvard Medical School

Arthur B. Pardee

I took the MBL Physiology course in the late 1940s when George Wald of Harvard University was instructing—a fine experience. Later I helped teach this course, and came back to Woods Hole many summers. I became acquainted there with the late Ruth Sager, an outstanding scientist, and we married in the early 1970s. The home Ruth bought on Oyster Pond is now the summer home I share with my present wife, Ann Goodman, whom I also met in Woods Hole.

– Arthur B. Pardee, Professor of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology Emeritus, Harvard Medical School