Sources of Support

The annual operating budget of The Ecosystems Center for 2012 was $7,348,000. Approximately 80% of the income of the center came from grants for basic research from government agencies, including the National Science Foundation, NASA, the Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency. The other 20% comes from gifts and grants from private foundations, including support for the Semester in Environmental Science, as well as from institutional support for administration and income from the center's reserve and endowment funds.

These non-governmental funds provide flexibility for the development of new research projects, public policy activities and educational programs. The combined market value of the center's research and education endowments at the end of 2012 was $5,572,000. Income from these funds helps defray the costs of operations, writing proposals, consulting for government agencies and the center's educational programs.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Contact Us

The Ecosystems Center
7 MBL Street
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1015

Find Us

Physical location of offices:
CV Starr Environmental Laboratory
11 Albatross Street
Woods Hole, MA

Support Us

Support Ecosystems Center science through the MBL's Annual Fund. All donors automatically become members of the MBL Associates.