On behalf of the staff of the Office of Education we welcome you to the Marine Biological Laboratory. We hope that the information provided throughout this site will assist you in planning your trip to MBL, but please feel free to call on us if you need further assistance.
- Once you have been admitted to a course you will be formally registered with the MBL and upon arrival will obtain a picture identification card. This “MBL Card” is used for many purposes at MBL such as accessing course lab space, obtaining meals in the cafeteria, and computer accessibility.
- Students are responsible for making their own travel arrangements to and from MBL unless otherwise stated. Directions and further information may be found in the Travel section.
- Students should bring comfortable, summer clothes, but be prepared for an occasionally chilly evening or rainy day. Don’t forget your athletic equipment: facilities include tennis courts, a bathing beach, the Bell Tower playing field (birthplace to Ultimate Frisbee), and a baseball diamond. There are also excellent running, biking, and roller blade paths.
- To familiarize yourself with the administrative and technical services provided at MBL such as the Mail Room, Shipping & Receiving, Computing Services, etc. please visit MBL Services in this site.
- The MBL is a federal grant and contract recipient and, as a result, must abide by certain federal laws and regulations, including but not limited to, non-discrimination laws, American with Disabilities Act, and Drug-Free Workplace Act. Reasonable accommodations will be made for any qualified individual with a disability. Please contact Sue Hoffman in MBL’s Equal Employment Opportunity Office with your request at 508-289-7378 or via e-mail at email@example.com. Students shall observe all rules, regulations, policies, procedures and security requirements of MBL concerning the safety of persons and property in and out of the laboratories. All students will be e-mailed a copy of the following specific MBL policies: Alcohol Policy; Disability Assistance; Drug-Free Workplace; Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Policy; Illegal Harassment; Smoke-Free Environment; and Violence Prevention.
- Tuition, course fees, and housing fees must be paid 15 days prior to the start of the course. If an extenuating circumstance makes this impossible then full payment should be made in person at the Accounts Receivable office upon arrival. The MBL’s Director of Finance must approve any exceptions to this rule along with an agreed to schedule of payments, during the first week of your stay. Payment must be made in U.S. dollars by cash, wire transfer, check, credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express), or on line.
- If you must cancel your participation in a course, please contact the Admissions Coordinator as soon as possible. We have students on a wait list who are anxious to fill any openings.
- Smoking is prohibited in all MBL facilities, including housing and MBL vehicles.
- We recommend that while at MBL you take advantage of the variety of events, lectures and children’s programs that are available to you. Specific and current information on lectures and events may be obtained from the Communications Office, (508)289-7423.
- Please visit the Wood Hole Village webpage for information about local restaurants, shops, galleries, and events in the area.