When an application is received by the Housing Office, an acknowledgment e-mail is automatically sent to the applicant. Please contact the Housing Office if you have not received an acknowledgment of your application within a week of submission.
Submission of the completed housing application is considered a commitment on the applicant’s part to accept financial responsibility for the housing assigned.
Summer Housing assignments will be made by May 31 (except course students), for those applications received by the March 1st deadline date.
Applications received after the deadline date will be processed in the order received regardless of category, and may take up to four weeks to process. Student housing assignments will be made after a student has been accepted into an MBL course.
Available housing will be assigned according to the institution’s established categories. We will verify the category included on your application with the appropriate MBL department. If, at any point, you withdraw from or cancel your work at the MBL, your housing will be cancelled as well.
The Housing Office will adhere to the established category list in making housing assignments.
The following factors will also be taken into consideration when making assignments:
- Missed deadline: Applications received after the Summer Housing deadline will not supercede applications received on time, regardless of individual’s category status
- Number of people in applicant’s party: Cottages and 2-bedroom apartments will be assigned to families with dependent children before they are assigned to a couple, regardless of category
- Need for lead-free housing
- Approval to bring a pet (cottages only) – pet security required
- Disability: Housing for persons with mobility impairments is severely limited. Please indicate mobility impairment on your application.
Factors NOT considered when making housing assignments:
- Medical conditions. The staff in housing is not qualified to evaluate medical conditions, regardless of documentation from a physician.
- Housing, when available, is only provided for immediate family members and dependent children.
Due to the high demand on housing, the MBL is unable to provide housing for:
- Families of students
- Non-dependent children or extended family members of applicant
- Friends of applicants
- Staff of applicants
Confirmation of Housing Assignment:
Confirmations of housing assignments will be emailed or mailed once housing assignments are completed for applicants. For Summer Applicants, please be sure to list your best mailing address from mid-May to early June on your application.
Housing will be charged from the date of the reservation unless the Housing Office receives a written cancellation notice at least 15 days in advance of the reservation and an immediate reassignment can be made. Unclaimed housing units are subject to immediate reassignment. Housing assignments are not transferable, and subletting is not permitted. Changes in room assignments are permitted only with the prior consent of the Housing Office.
Dormitory rooms are only available with our board plan. See Dining for more information.