The MBL maintains a beach that is within a short walking distance of the MBL campus. Use of the beach is free to MBL guests. Guests must provide their own beach towel. Lifeguard services are provided during the summer months. Please contact the Swope Front Desk for directions and more information. A valid MBL parking sticker is required to park at the beach. All Falmouth beaches close at 10 PM.
An indoor bicycle storage area is available in the basement of Ebert Hall for a nominal fee. Bicycles may not be stored in dormitories. More information is available at the main desk in Swope, or from Bob Kaski at (508) 289-7326 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MBL Summer Programs for Children offer activities and supervision for children from the ages of four to twelve. The goal is to provide a fun, safe, and interesting summer for children of MBL faculty, staff, and community members.
If you have a laptop you can easily bring with you, please do so. Wireless Internet access is available on campus. For more information, please visit http://www.mbl.edu/it/. Two laptop computers are available for general use in the Swope Center lobby. Contact the MBL help desk with any questions at 508-289-7654 or at email@example.com.
Dress in Woods Hole and at MBL is casual. Bring clothes you don’t mind getting dirty or spilled on while working in the lab or field and wear closed-toe shoes. Bring clothing you can layer, along with a windbreaker.
Emergency Contact Number:
Dorms: Swope/Ebert/Brick Apartment Suites/Drew/David/Veeder
- Private/semi-private bathrooms cleaned weekly, public bathrooms cleaned daily
- Room trash removed weekly
- Towels are changed twice per week.
- Clean bed linens provided; placed in room weekly
- Please bring your own toiletries
- Hallways and public areas swept/vacuumed as needed
- Recycle bins provided in common areas
Cottages/Apartments/Smith Cottage/Crane House/11 North Street
- Cleaned prior to arrival
- Occupant cleans during stay and prior to departure cleans according specifications in Check Out Notice
- Trash placed in dumpster (apartments), in outdoor trash cans and recycle bin (cottages/Smith/Crane). Trash is picked up on Monday mornings by roadside.
Housekeeping Services for Conference Groups at all locations except cottages
- Provide fresh linen weekly
- Bathrooms cleaned daily
- Trash removed daily
- Carpet sweeping/vacuuming as needed
Credit / Debit Card -operated laundry facilities are available on the ground floor of Swope, in the basements of Ebert Hall and the Brick Apartments, and in Pilot House located near the cottages. It is suggested you bring your own detergent but coin-operated detergent vending machines are located in all laundry rooms. Change is available at the main desk in Swope.
Bed linens, blankets, pillows, and towels are provided in all types of housing. In Dormitories, clean linens are delivered to your room weekly. Cottage and apartment occupants receive linens upon arrival and are responsible for laundering linens during their stay. You will need to provide your own beach towel.
7 MBL Street
Woods Hole, MA 02543
The MBL Club, at 100 Water Street, offers recreational and educational programs and events for families during the summer months. Membership is available for families, individuals, couples, and grandparents. For more information about the MBL Club and its programs, contact the Communications Office, firstname.lastname@example.org, (508) 289-7423.
A board contract for three meals per day in the Swope Dining Room is included with the room. The contract covers meals Monday through Sunday. Your meals will begin with dinner on the day of arrival, and end with lunch on the day of departure. There is no credit for missed meals. When you arrive at MBL, you will be issued an ID card that will serve as your meal card and that will provide you with access to the lab, where you will spend most of your time. Please keep it with you at all times. There is a $30.00 fee for lost ID cards.
Some suggestions for what to bring:
- Bring a fan for your room. MBL housing is not air-conditioned.
- Bring an alarm clock. No clocks are provided in MBL housing.
- Bring beach towels. None are provided by the MBL.
- Bring a bike if you have one, with a lock. There are many bike racks and you may register for the Bike storeroom. Bikes are not allowed in the dorms.
Playground equipment is located in the Memorial Circle cottage area.
Parking & Parking permits:
Parking at the MBL and in Woods Hole is extremely limited and regulated. The MBL maintains an off-campus parking lot and provides scheduled shuttle service during the peak season to the main campus. The use of bicycles is encouraged. Occupants of MBL cottages are prohibited from using unregistered vehicles on the private roads in the area. Each cottage is provided with one off-street parking space. Additional cars at cottages must park at the Devil’s Lane parking lot, with proper permit.
- A parking permit must be displayed to park in any MBL lot. They are issued at the Swope Front Desk. Permits do not guarantee a space.
- Permits are available at no fee to those affiliated with the MBL.
- Contact Bob Kaski at (508) 289-7326 or email@example.com for more information about parking.
The MBL actively recycles electronic equipment, paper, packaging material, glass, and plastic. Recycling containers are positioned and recycling notices are posted throughout the campus. Contact Bob Kaski at (508) 289-7326 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Shuttle service between the MBL’s Woods Hole campus, the Cottages, and the Devil’s Lane Parking Lot is available during summer months. Contact Bob Kaski at (508) 289-7326 or email@example.com for more information about shuttle service and schedules
Telephones are available in all dormitories and apartments. Please check the Information Technology web site for details. Long distance access is available from all MBL phones by using a long distance calling card. Be sure to bring calling cards with you if you will need them.
- Cottages: Telephones provided.
- Emergency Call Boxes can be found in Ebert Hall, the Brick Apartment Building, and outside of Swope.
Two tennis courts and a paddle tennis court are located in the area adjacent to the cottages. These courts are free for use by those affiliated with the MBL.
Toiletries: Please bring your own toiletry supplies. A Soap bar is provided on arrival.