Network Acceptable Use Policy
Acceptable Network Usage Policy
It is the policy of the Marine Biological Laboratory (“MBL”) to prohibit the unauthorized use of the MBL Network (MBLnet) and those computing resources connected to the network. MBLnet is dedicated to facilitating high speed communication in support of the research and educational mission of the Institution. The MBL Network is the property of MBL and MBL reserves the right to monitor and control all network activity.
MBLnet users shall adhere to the conditions and procedures set forth in the MBLnet Security Policy. Violation of this policy will result in the loss of network privileges and may result in criminal or civil prosecution and/or disciplinary or punitive actions.
BY ACCEPTING THIS NOTICE, YOU AGREE THAT IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO READ, UNDERSTAND, AND ABIDE BY THE RULES AND REGULATIONS SET FORTH IN THE MBLnet SECURITY POLICY.
Certain network activities are expressly prohibited in the policy. These include (but are not limited to):
- Attempting to in any way disguise your electronic identity.
- Attempting to gather information about the MBL network, servers, or other networks or computers, both inside and outside of MBL.
- Transmitting any communication which would violate any applicable law or regulation including copyright infringement. (THIS INCLUDES PROHIBITING USE OR DISTRIBUTION OF COPYRIGHTED MP3’S, DIGITAL VIDEO, ETC.)
- Use or sending of foul, obscene, discriminatory, unlawful or harassing language or images.
- Using MBLnet to send, display, download or print offensive messages or pornographic materials or sexually explicit pictures, derogatory religious or racial or defamatory material, including material that might be offensive to the recipient.
The MBL Information Technology Department (“IT”) reserves the right to remove user accounts and/or revoke network access privileges for a user’s failure to adhere to the conditions or procedures set forth in this notice and the MBLnet Security Policy or engaging in any other inappropriate conduct with respect to the MBL Network.
If you have questions about this notice or the MBLnet Security Policy, please leave a message at the MBL Helpdesk x7654. We will return your call.