The MBL offers weekday tours late June through the end of August. There are two tours daily, Monday through Friday at 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM. Tours last approximately an hour and consist of a video presentation, a visit to the Marine Resources Center for a look at the marine animals used in MBL research, and a walking tour of the campus.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of visitors during the summer months, we cannot accommodate any special groups beyond our regularly scheduled tours (1pm & 2pm).
Groups are limited to 15 people per tour. Reservations are required and can be made in the Communications Office on the second floor of Candle House or by calling 508-289-7623. Please make your reservations at least one week in advance.
For safety reasons, children under the age of five are not permitted in the Marine Resources Center, although they may view the video with the group. School groups are not accepted in the summer.
Parking for tours is not available in MBL lots. Street parking is metered and competitive. However, a public trolley runs back and forth between Falmouth (where there is public parking available) and Woods Hole Village on the half hour during summer. Please make travel plans accordingly.
A limited number of special group tours may be arranged during the off-season months (October through May), Monday through Friday. Tours last approximately an hour and consist of a video presentation and a visit to the Marine Resources Center.
Every tour request during the off-season must be made in writing by completing a tour registration form (.pdf). We cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your request. Our tours are organized by volunteers and depend solely on their availability. Following the MBL Tour Requirements listed below will help us to accommodate your tour request.
MBL Group Tour Requirements:
- All tours must be booked through the MBL communications office, using the tour registration form on our website.
- All tours must be led by an official MBL tour guide or staff member and will last approximately one hour.
- Due to the limited capacity of our Marine Resources Center, tour group sizes cannot exceed 45 people TOTAL. Large groups will be divided into smaller groups of 15 persons each.
- The MBL can only accommodate two group visits per week. Whenever possible, preference will be given to Falmouth schools.
- Tours for groups of up to 20 people must be booked two weeks in advance.
- Tours larger than 20 people must be booked 3 weeks in advance.
- MBL tours must be booked by the school planning the visit. No third-party bookings.
- Tours can only be booked three months in advance. Limit two tours per group.
- Tour groups must call ahead (508) 289-7423 if they are running late. Tours for groups that do not show within 20 minutes of their scheduled tour, and who have not called ahead, will be automatically cancelled.
We ask that at least two adults chaperone all groups of young people. Teachers, please remind your students that they are guests of a world-class research laboratory. They are expected to behave accordingly. Unruly groups will be asked to leave and will not be given tours in subsequent years. For safety reasons, children under the age of five are not permitted in the Marine Resources Center, although they may view the video with the group.
Parking for tours is usually not available in MBL lots. Street parking is metered and competitive in Woods Hole, so please make travel plans accordingly. If your plans change (i.e., you cannot visit or you are running late), please contact the Communications Office as soon as possible.
For more information about tours, contact the MBL Communications Office at: 508-289-7423