September 16, 2014

Florence Rose

The MBL notes the passing of a long-time member of the MBL community, Florence Rose.

The following obituary appeared in the Falmouth Enterprise on July 26.

Florence (Cracauer) Rose of Waquoit died Saturday at Atria Woodbriar. She was 93.

Mrs. Rose was the wife of Dr. S. Meryl Rose. They were married for 62 years. Meryl Rose died in 1995.

Florence was born in Brooklyn, NY, and raised in Englewood, NJ. Sheattended Smith College and graduated with a B.A. in English in 1933.She earned a Master’s degree in Education from Columbia University.She taught in the Englewood Public Schools and at Columbia University and Smith College. In 1949 the family moved to Urbana, Illinois,where Florence was a psychometrist with the Urbana Public Schools.She also worked with her husband in his laboratory in the ZoologyDepartment at the University of Illinois. She continued as a Research Associate with her husband at Wesleyan University and Tulane Medical School. Beginning in the 1930’s they and their graduate students spent summers at the MBL. They studied growth, differentiation and regeneration in marine organisms and higher vertebrates. They published many scientific papers together.

In 1974 they retired to Woods Hole and in 1979 built their home in Waquoit. They sailed their gaff-rigged sloop Mystic for many summers around the Elizabeth Islands and on long trips along the Atlantic Coast.

Mrs. Rose leaves a daughter Peggy Rose Shulman of Toronto, Ontario and Woods Hole, MA and two sons, Charles Rose of Falmouth,MA and Haiku, HI and John (Jack) Rose of Guilford, CT and Hatchville, MA. She also leaves a brother Clifford Cracauer of Vermillion, SD, 9 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m.on Friday July 29 at the Church of the Messiah in Woods Hole followed by a reception at Fisher House.

Memorial donations may be made to the Florence C. Rose and S. Meryl Rose endowed scholarship fund of the Marine Biological Laboratory, 7 MBL St., Woods Hole, MA or to Smith College, Northampton, MA.