Budgets will be requested and reviewed in detail following selection of the two final proposals. These budgets must represent a realistic appraisal of the cost of the proposed work, not to exceed $125,000. Specific concerns that may be of interest to applicants are as follows:
1. Can I submit more than one application if I have more than one collaborator that I could work with? Yes, but you must submit a fully executed application with each new collaborator. You cannot refer back to other applications.
2. If I am affiliated with the MBL, do I have to be an MBL resident research scientist to apply? No, visiting researchers affiliated with the MBL, either as members of the Whitman Center or first-time visitors, are eligible to apply as Co-investigators in a collaborative team provided that an MBL and UChicago faculty member are listed as the PIs.
3. Should the application follow NIH guidelines such as margins, format, etc.? No, please follow the guidelines that appear on the application form, using Times New Roman 11-point font with 1-in margins on top, bottom, right, and left.
4. What is your policy regarding visas for foreign researchers? Applicants who are not US citizens or resident aliens must hold a valid J-1 visa. Applicants should contact MBL’s foreign national office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for guidance and not rely on visa advice from their current institution.
5. Must the research be physically conducted at the MBL? Yes.
6. Do we need to submit a current and pending support statement? No.
7. Do the funds have to be evenly distributed between year 1 and year 2 of the award? Yes, the funds need to be split evenly for the duration of the award.
8. Will carry forward of unspent funds from Year 1 to Year 2 be allowed? No.
9. Is the award given to the home institution of the PI and then that home institution is responsible for administering the money like a traditional grant? The MBL is considered the home institution so the money stays at the MBL and gets used for the grantees’ expenses from an MBL account assigned to the grantee.
10. If you are a member of the MBL resident scientist program do you need to include laboratory rental costs? No.
11. Are there overhead costs associated with this award? No overhead will be charged to this award. However, scientists will be charged for space at the MBL, which can be paid through the grant or other sources.
12. Can salary be requested? Yes.
13. Are sub-awards to other institutions allowed? Yes.
14. Can the award be used to buy out teaching commitments at my home institution so that I can spend time doing research at the MBL? No.
15. What are the reporting requirements? When are they due? A one-page report is due at the end of year one and a summary of work and budget is due at the end of year two.