The Marine Biological Laboratory announces a call for applications for the 2015 MBL-UChicago-Argonne Collaboration Awards.
Deadline February 6, 2015
Proposals are invited for grants in support of innovative scientific collaborations among faculty at the MBL and UChicago-Argonne, in service of laying the foundation for long-term interactions.
While this opportunity is open to everyone, the team must include at least one UChicago-Argonne and one MBL resident scientist.
Proposals are welcome for new collaborations or for collaborations that are already in the planning phase. Proposals must demonstrate the potential of the planned activity to strengthen the affiliation among institutions. Examples of proposed activities could include, but are not restricted to:
- a collaborative experiment blitz that would generate preliminary data essential for planning a grant proposal submission. Funds could be requested for convening personnel, e.g., to access shared equipment for establishment and testing of a new research capability.
- the convening of faculty to develop a collaborative vision. Funds could be requested to pull faculty together for the dedicated time necessary to begin fleshing out a long-term, common scientific vision; that vision could be communicated (e.g., through a published review) or moved forward by identifying and pursuing funding opportunities.
Criteria for Selection of Proposals
- Potential for synergy among participants, producing more powerful research than could be achieved by working independently.
- Potential for the project to lead to a sustained, ongoing collaboration between institutions.
Proposals will be reviewed by a panel with very diverse scientific backgrounds. Specific aims and significance sections, particularly, should be written to be understood by a broad panel. Awards of up to $25,000 will be made to successful applicants.
Application Guidelines and Format
Applications for an MBL-UChicago-Argonne Collaboration Award are limited to 3 pages, including all figures and text. Font size is limited to 11 minimum with one-inch margins. References not included in 3-page limit.
Required sections within the 3-page limit include:
- Specific Aims – Provide an overview of specific goals of the planned activity.
- Significance – Describe both scientific significance and significance for development of the MBL-UChicago-Argonne affiliation.
- Activity Plan – Describe the activity with sufficient detail to show reviewers the plan is well conceived and can achieve the specific aims. Include a brief timetable and anticipated next-step activities.
- Budget – Provide a very brief overview of the budget, which must not exceed $25,000.
How to Apply
Click here to apply. Completed applications are due by 11:59 pm EST on February 6, 2015. Notification of decisions will be made by March 1, 2015. If you have any questions about the application, the awards, or the awards process, please email the Office of Research Administration & Programs at email@example.com, or call 508-289-7173.