In an effort to utilize the new affiliation between the University of Chicago and the Marine Biological Laboratory to enhance research and teaching, the UChicago Faculty Advisory Committee announces support for graduate research at the MBL. Support for UChicago graduate students will be provided for travel, room, board, and research expenses for work that utilizes the resources and location of the MBL to support their research.
All applicants will need an MBL sponsor, either from the summer or year-round faculty community, to write in support of the project. Applicants who have ideas but are unsure how to include the MBL in their projects are encouraged to connect directly with Neil Shubin (email@example.com). Proposals should include:
1. Project description (1,500 word maximum) that presents the aims, methods, the importance of the proposed research for the student’s research program, and the relevance of the MBL for this research;
2. A statement on the duration and timing of the proposed stay(s) at the MBL;
3. Budget (costs of room and board at the MBL can be found at www.mbl.edu);
4. Letter of support from the Thesis Advisor or Graduate Program Chair; and
5. Letter of support from a member of the MBL community;
Support will be provided for reagents, supplies, and small equipment totaling a maximum of $10,000. Support can be provided over a two-year period.
Deadline Dates: December 1, 2014.
Please direct applications and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.