Sodexo Sustainability @ MBL
At Marine Biological Laboratory we take many steps to make sure that we do our part to protect the environment
Mass Impact is our commitment to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, our customers, and the communities in which we work and live to support the Massachusetts and New England regional economy through an increase in local purchasing.
Through Mass Impact we highlight local farms through our Harvest of the Month program, and conduct educational events on local sourcing.
Our Definition of Local
Agricultural products are local if it is:
- Exclusively grown or trapped in Massachusetts
- Derived from an animal that was raised for at least one-third of its life in Massachusetts (except milk)
- For milk, a majority was produced from Massachusetts animals
- Honey produced by Massachusetts colonies located exclusively in Massachusetts when all nectar was collected
Processed foods are local if:
- 50% or more of all product ingredients by volume (excluding water) are raw agricultural products that are local to Massachusetts and
- Either processed or the food manufacturer is headquartered in Massachusetts
Unique food products are local if two or more of the following are true:
- 50% or more of all ingredients by volume (excluding water) are raw agricultural products that are local to Massachusetts
- Substantial transformation of the ingredients in the product occurred in Massachusetts
- The headquarters of the company that manufactures the product is in Massachusetts
Our Definition of Regional
Food grown, raised, or harvested within the six New England states (+50 mile radius)
Agricultural products are regional if:
- Vendor of the product is a regional food business and 100% of the ingredients were grown, raised, or harvested on farms within the six New England stats plus 50 miles
Processed and Unique foods are regional if:
- Vendor of the product is a regional food business and at least 50% of the ingredients were grown, raised, or harvested on farms within the six New England states plus 50 miles (for example: broccoli soup, in which the broccoli and dairy were sourced regionally and equal 50% or more of the ingredients)
Northeast Organic Family Farm Partnership
Sodexo has signed on to the Northeast Organic Family Farm Partnership and is committed to increasing our purchases of organic dairy in support of the organic industry in New England.
To learn about our commitment and the partnership, please visit www.saveorganicfamilyfarms.org.
Regional and Sustainably Sourced Seafood
Our New England location means access to some of the freshest, most delicious and responsibly sourced fish and seafood possible. The Clam Man is committed to distributing freshly caught seafood for small, local and independent fishermen. Supporting a vital fishing industry and tradition in New England. You can find The Clam Man’s seafood being served at Swope and the Café
We are committed to offering quality, fresh, healthy, and locally sourced ingredients. We feature local farms and have committed to purchasing volumes through our Harvest of the Month Program. Some of our local partners are Wilson Farms (Lexington, MA), Joe Czajkowski Farm (Hadley, MA), Steere Orchards (Greenville, RI), Calise Bakery, (Lincoln Rhode Island), and Garelick Milk, (Franklin MA).
Additional Campus Initiatives
We’ve partnered with Black Earth Compost for Pre- and post-consumer food waste composting. We provide napkin dispensers to help reduce napkin consumption. Our napkins are compostable and made from >40% post-consumer content.
We offer recyclable single use containers. They are available in all dining locations. Recycling bins are also available in all dining locations.
China options are available at Swope to reduce single use container use.
We are committed to using 100% cage free eggs.