Radiation and Laser Safety
What is Radiation Safety?
Radiation safety aims at protecting users, staff, the general public and the environment from exposure to radiation through the proper management and disposal of all radioactive materials used in teaching and research activities.
The Radiation Safety Officer assists the MBL research Community with the safe and compliant use of ionizing radiation including radioactive materials (RAM) and sealed sources, x-ray generating equipment and lasers. The use of these materials and devices on MBL campus is regulated by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the federal Occupational Safety and Administration (OSHA). We facilitate safe conditions for utilizing radiation in research and teaching, maintain radiation exposures As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA), and ensure academic and research operations are conducted in compliance with applicable local, state and federal regulations.
Radiation Safety Manual
Laser Safety Manual
Radiation User Application form
Laser Registration form
Services and Responsibilities
- Assists with Principal Investigator protocol for radioactive material (RAM) consultation and review
- Provides initial and annual radiation safety training
- Liaises with the Radiation Safety Committee and provides expertise and authority as the Radiation Safety Officer for radioactive materials use at the Marine Biological Laboratory.
- Under the Radiation Safety Committee, responsible for the implementation of the radiation safety program and establishing policies and procedures
Radiation Safety Committee Charter
Radiation Safety Committee Members
- Assists in RAM procurement
- Tracks all RAM on campus
- Provides personnel exposure monitoring
- Survey instrument calibrations and initiates instrument repair
- Inspects labs for proper radiation safety equipment and practices
- Oversees RAM security
- Emergency response to radioactive spill
- Radioactive waste management (e.g. issuance of waste management containers, radioactive waste pickup, prepares radioactive waste for waste broker pickup, manages decay-in-storage of short-lived waste)
- Manages the laser safety program (e.g. laser equipment registration, laser inventory, laser safety training, signage, lab inspections).
Contact Eric H. Jensen, Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and Laser Safety Officer (LSO), 508-289-7424 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions related to radiation safety.